About Our Founder
Nita Belles is an author and speaker who has presented to community groups, government and faith based groups nationwide. Her passion is contagious as she details human trafficking, all the while inspiring others about ways to help fight this worthy battle. From many years experience in anti-domestic violence work, she brings a deep understanding of both victims and perpetrators. If your group is interested in learning more, Nita is passionate about raising awareness and empowering people to stop this atrocity among us.
Highlights of Nita’s work in combating human trafficking:
- Executive Director of In Our Backyard
- Central Oregon’s Regional Director of Oregonians Against Trafficking Humans (OATH)
- Author of In Our Backyard
- Victim rescue to restoration
- Works with law enforcement in anti-human trafficking efforts surrounding the Super Bowl
- Works with legislators in passing Oregon’s anti-trafficking laws
- Experience testifying before state legislatures to help strengthen the argument for tougher trafficking laws
- Develops and delivers targeted custom training to community and faith based groups, medical staff, law enforcement, prosecuting attorneys, parole & probation, universities, etc.
- Guides individuals or organizations who are beginning on the journey of anti-trafficking
Nita has worked with victims/survivors of domestic violence for many years. She specialized in various women’s issues.
Nita began studying about human trafficking/modern-day slavery in 2006. The more she studied, the more she knew she couldn’t sit on the sidelines while these atrocities were taking place all over the world, including in her own backyard. As she networks with other national and international abolitionist organizations, she brings to the table a deep understanding of a broad scope of women’s issues, as well as a compassion for victims and a determination to link arms with other abolitionists in order to end modern-day slavery.
Nita has worked for more than twenty years in business. Also, a former Associate Pastor, she holds a Master’s Degree in Theology with a concentration in Women’s Concerns.
She has an enthusiasm for life and is known as a powerful motivator who will impact any group. Nita is available to present to groups everywhere to heighten awareness, answer questions and help stop human trafficking/modern-day slavery.
Nita Belles’ book, In Our Backyard, has raised awareness for thousands, and as a result, USA Today, CNN, Fox Files and others have interviewed her to further the cause. Her work also includes anti-trafficking efforts surrounding Super Bowl and legislative efforts.